Refers to: Ship Owners / Managers / Operators of CI flagged vessels, PHRS Surveyors / Representatives
Action Date: 1st Nov 2022
The amendments allow for UNSP barges to be exempted from certain survey and certification requirements in MARPOL Annex I, Annex IV and Annex VI, respectively.
The guidelines for the exemption of UNSP barges are detailed in MEPC.1/Circ.892, attached to this Circular.
Actions for ship owners and managers
Owners and managers of UNSP barges wishing to apply for exemptions from survey and certification requirements are required to get in touch with the certifying authority as follows:
UNSP barges with certification issued directly by Maritime Cook Islands (MCI):
• Owners/managers to get in touch with MCI;
• MCI will review the drawings as per MEPC.1/Circ.892;
• Upon satisfactory review of the drawings, an MCI-appointed surveyor will carry out the relevant survey as per MEPC.1/Circ.892;
• Based on the satisfactory result of the survey, MCI will issue the exemption certificate valid for a period not exceeding five years.
UNSP barges with certification issued by an approved RO on behalf of MCI:
• Owners/managers to get in touch with the relevant RO;
• The RO will review the necessary drawings as per MEPC.1/Circ.892;
• Upon satisfactory review of the drawings, the RO will carry out the relevant survey as per MEPC.1/Circ.892;
• Upon satisfactory results of the survey, the RO will notify MCI accordingly and MCI will issue the exemption certificate valid for a period not exceeding five years.
Maintenance of conditions
The exemption certificate ceases to be valid in case any of the approved exemption conditions (defined in MARPOL Annex I Reg.1.40, MARPOL Annex IV Reg. 1.16, and MARPOL Annex VI Reg. 2.1.32) are not met any longer after the survey.
Owners/managers are required to notify MCI in case any of the approved exemption conditions are not met, or any conversion or alteration has occurred affecting the conditions under which the exemption certificate(s) is(are) issued.
The Circular 278/2022 can be found here, in full detail.
Do not hesitate to contact us for more information you may need on the above.
November 18th, 2022 - PHRS Head Office